27 September, 2009

Bangalore Weekend Testing 9 (BWT – 9)

Date and Time
26th September 2009, 3.00 PM

Mission
To find functional bugs in the application

Product Overview
Splashup formerly Fauxto, is a powerful editing tool and photo manager. It's easy to use, works in real-time and allows you to edit many images at once. Splashup runs in all browsers, integrates seamlessly with top photo-sharing sites, and even has its own file format so you can save your work in progress.

Testers
Ajay Balamurugadas, Parimala Shankaraiah, Gunjan Sethi, Dhanasekar Subramaniam, Poulami Ghosh, Suja C S, Karan Indra, Rajesh Iyer, Amit Kulkarni.

Reports
My Report
Ajay’s Report

Approach
Testing multimedia and imaging applications has been a jittery-ride for me for a long time simply because I have not tested them or even brainstormed test ideas for such applications. The product for BWT-9 was one such application – Splashup. First look at the application and I was like ‘Oops! I am stuck’. I had no clue about what the product is, how I am going to understand how it works, how to figure out and what to figure out? Any online help – just nothing. I am surprised how most applications are released to the market without the basic help information if not contextual help! For splashup, there was a brief overview about the product and that’s it. I opened the application and observed the tools pane. Wow – now this looks similar to MS Paint. I am not sure yet if mapping one application to another does any good/bad in terms of modeling the application under test(AUT). At least in this case, I was able to move forward.

Dear Facilitator
I was the facilitator for this session. Facilitating is a different ballgame altogether. Inviting people to google chat, reconnecting disconnected people, providing information for latecomers(if any), clarifications, questions, doubts, understanding misinterpretations and interpreting correctly etc. Wow. It was an awesome experience. I always think of me as a very poor Management Material. I have always dreamt of being a tester in an Individual Contributor(IC) role and be able to work like that forever in an Ideal World. Sadly, this is not an ideal world. This pushes me to pursue a lot more skills to be learnt and practiced. Someday, these skills are going to help me be a better tester in some way. Respect every experience in your life. You never know when you would require those skills.

To learn from whatever happens, no matter how horrible that experience maybe, is a kind of revenge on bad fortune that is always available to us – James Bach

Happy Learning,
Parimala Shankaraiah
http://curioustester.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Bug 1 in your report, says
    "short cut keys are missing" so the user who is used to short cut keys are crippled since they are missing.

    For instance, if an application is mouse based (no shortcut keys provided )and has very limited keyboard operation. do you reckon missing short cut keys option is a bug?


    thanks
    Sarmila

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarmila

    It made me wonder recently if anyone ever went through my reports. I am glad to see you doing that. Thank You.


    if an application is mouse based (no shortcut keys provided )and has very limited keyboard operation. do you reckon missing short cut keys option is a bug?

    It depends on the context. If I am a person who is strongly dependent on the shortcut keys, it is a bug and a very critical one for me. If I am a person who hardly uses the shortcut keys, then this might not even appear as a bug to me or maybe I would not discover this bug at all becuase I never used the system in that way.

    In short, it is not about how the system is designed to be. It is about how satisfactory it is for the customer or the stakeholder who is interested in using it.

    I would love to see some posts on your blog shortly.

    Happy Testing
    Parimala Shankaraiah
    http://curioustester.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your report.. i see lots many bugs which u raised are still available on this. and have found one more while saving the image.

    ReplyDelete