24 June, 2009

I failed miserably!

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to practice what I learnt from the ET Workshop that I had attended. I picked a feature in the product that was not tested by me in the past.

Here goes my report:
1. Played around with the feature for better understanding
2. Brainstormed a few test ideas for testing that feature
3. Shortlisted a few areas/sub-features to be tested(used an Excel Checklist)
4. Created a text file similar to the one used in Session Based Test Management report which included Mission, Date and Time, Observations and Issues sections (rough draft at this point)
5. Started testing the feature. It was just 1 minute later when my manager informed me of an urgent unscheduled meeting. 30 minutes gone! Back from the meeting and moved the mouse over the feature and 2 developers standing next to me expecting me to help them understand a trivial UI issue which I had explained in a clear and precise manner in my defect report. 5 minutes gone.
6. Got back to testing and an urgent request for reviewing the product guide!
7. Stopped testing without any actual testing and ended up with an empty report

Doesn’t it look like our traditional test case procedure executed pointlessly and without ample reasoning. I was ignorant of the several interruptions that could happen while I Time Box myself for testing a small feature. I failed miserably at my attempt to do Exploratory Testing in a session based manner the first time. Each time I fail, I am happy to believe that it is an opportunity to learn. The faster you fail, the quicker you succeed.

Watch this space for more is coming :-)
Happy Testing,


  1. You did not fail... The report is ready. So how did you fail?

    You never started your testing with the task of listing out the defects in the report.

    So, actually you did not fail... :)


  2. Thanks Ajay. You are right. I did not fail in the actual sense. In this particular post, I just wanted to highlight how some of us come enlightened with lot of ideas and never practise them hence putting those ideas under the drain.

    My next post will talk about how I did not fail.

    Pari - http://curioustester.blogspot.com

  3. Fantastic report Pari,

    When I practiced session based testing with my team, one clear outcome of it was the time we actually spend in testing against all other activities.

    Created a text file similar to the one used in Session Based Test Management report which included Mission, Date and Time, Observations and Issues sections (rough draft at this point)

    - You could also try the tool "session tester", it gives you a chance to pause your session when you are pulled for an unexpected meeting :)


  4. Hi Sharath,
    Thanks a lot. I am yet to explore Session Tester tool shortly. Thanks for letting me know.

    Pari - http://curioustester.blogspot.com

  5. I am assuming you hold my reports that came along with the workbook provided to you at the workshop.

    Your first objective is to ape them and second is to do better than what I have demonstrated there.

    If you haven't given up, you haven't failed, yet.

  6. Hi Pradeep
    Currently, I am taking one step at a time to understand the challenges and how to overcome them. Eventually, I would like to better myself.

    I do refer to your reports frequently. It helped me come up with similar reports for a couple of testing exercises that I randomly took up. And I haven't given up Learning and I never will.

    Pari - http://curioustester.blogspot.com

  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

  8. We learn by mistakes but what you did was not a mistake nor you failed. They were just the constraints that restricted you from developing the report for a specific feature in the product.

    Santhosh S Tuppad - http://www.testersblog.com/